Monday, July 9, 2012

Former Sparki youth, now German based Star Peeki Kamau makes it in Harambee Stars U-23 lineup

German based star encouraged by Harambee Stars’ call up

Peeki Kamau in action in Germany

Little known German based Star Peeki Kamau  has said the national team call up is a positive move for his career especially at this point when he is about to land a new deal at a German Division Four club SV Selingenporten.

While in Germany, Peeki has also trained and held trials at: SG Quelle Furth, BSC Erlangen,FSV Erlangen Bruck and Dergahspor Nurnberg. He is also optimistic that soon he will get a chance to train and hold trials at Frankfurt.

Peeki who is currently in the country was part of the Kenyan U-23 team that had been called in by coach Nandwa to prepare for a friendly match against Botswana next week on Thursday. Unfortunately the friendly has been cancelled and he can only wait for another chance.

“It is always a great feeling to be called to the national team and this was a chance for me to take my career to the next level. Any national team cap enhances a player’s chances of better deals with foreign clubs and is a great value addition to a CV and I appreciate the call up. It is unfortunate that I just received a call to inform me that we will not be playing the match.It is fine, I will wait for another chance.” Peeki told michezoafrika.com on Sunday.

SPARKI YOUTH
The 19 year old studied in Mombasa at the Aga Khan Academy and played for Division one side Sparki Youth for two years. His own mother Hilda Wanjeri Kamau is his manager and has played a major role in shaping his career since he was young.

His is a story of encouragement, determination and self belief coupled with the rare and admirable parental support from his mother.

“My mother is a great inspiration. She always believes I am fit to play in Europe and that explains why we learned of my first foreign trials through the internet. She was always looking for a way I could get an opportunity to show case my abilities outside,” He added.

“Her confidence in me at times shocks me, but then fires me up to want to work even harder. She encouraged me to give the Empoli trials a try. At first we thought it is an online scam but when we sent an online application, they sent us the necessary documents for Visa application and there we were on our next plane to Italy.” He added.

EMPOLI TRIALS

At Empoli, Peeki did his best but due to varied reasons he was not signed at the Italian youth side that is also home to Kenyan Paul Thiong’o.However, his talent did not go unnoticed as the Empoli coaches and scouts promised to link him up with other clubs.

“Some paper work did not work out well for me there but the coaches were impressed and they promised to get me another club. In January this year, I got invited for trials by a German club after recommendations from Italy and we did not waste the opportunity, I landed there for trials and luckily I impressed the coaches. I have been there for the past three months and I am excited that everything is moving smoothly, hopefully I may land a deal to sign at Selingenporten when I get back for our pre season camp  at the end of this month.”

“The road is still long and opportunities in abundance. I just need to remain focused and keep working harder to attain my dream of succeeding out there.” He added.

Courtesy of  DENNIS MACHIO of MICHEZO AFRIKA

No comments:

Post a Comment