Saturday, July 30, 2011

Strikeforce: Fedor vs. Henderson (7/30/11) Results


Strikeforce: Fedor vs. Henderson (7/30/11) Results & Coverage

We have all waited for this HUGE event and now the wait is over....So...HERE WE GO...

UNDERCARD

Lightweight bout: Gesias Cavalcante (17-4-1-2) vs. Bobby Green (15-4)
MY PICK – Bobby Green via decision or DQ
WINNER – Gesias Cavalcante via SPLIT decision (28-29/29-28/29-28)

Pre-Fight Comments: I truly think that JZ is extremely OVERRATED with everyone inside the MMA Community. I do think he is extremely good, but many people consider him a future world champion. I do not see that out of this young man at all in my opinion. I think that this fight will give us the upset of the night as Bobby Green shocks the world! Green is the current KOTC lightweight champion at the moment and definitely has some talent. JZ has only ONE win in his last six fights and that is the BOTTOM LINE here. Granted, he is losing many decisions, but it doesn't matter, he is STILL losing. Due to Cavalcante never being stopped, I will not say that he is going to get stopped. I am going to take Bobby Green here via decision or DQ! (lol)

Post-Fight Comments: Both men had GREAT and energetic entrances for the fight. JZ came out as aggressive as it gets, but Green fought it off VERY well. He even wagged his finger with arrogance and cut JZ's cheek. I actually scored round one to Green 10-9. Cavalcante has been looking for the KO most of the night and thats the way he fought in round two. JZ landed some great shots, got a takedown, and full mount. JZ got him in a rear naked choke and Green tapped. The REF DIDNT SEE IT THOUGH and the bell sounds. He escaped round two, but JZ evened up the fight 19-19. Round three was JZ and Green both being aggressive and stopping takedowns. Nothing really interesting and I actually would love to score this round a 10-10 draw to score the entire FIGHT A draw...In fact, thats what I am gonna do. I score this fight a fucking DRAW! The judges gave it to JZ by split decision to drop my record to 1-4 on the night!

Welterweight bout: Eduardo Pamplona (15-2) vs. Tyler Stinson (20-7)
MY PICK – Eduardo Pamplona via decision
WINNER – Tyler Stinson via KO (1-0:15)

Pre-Fight Comments: Pamplona has won ten fights in a row and any time you can do that in this sport at the pro level, its saying something. His last loss was a TKO loss to Robbie Lawler back in 2007. I admit that he wins MOST by decision and that's exactly what I think is going to happen here. I honestly don't know SHIT about Mr. Stinson, so I am not going to speak ignorantly. I have to admit, he has an impressive win-loss record as a pro and that always says a lot in my book. This should be a GREAT fight and obviously the fight of the under card.

Post-Fight Comments: No touching of gloves...Stinson lands a combo and then POW...a shot that knocks out Pamplona in seconds. Oh shit is all I can really say right now as I drop to 1-3 with my predictions for the night!

Women's Welterweight (135 lb) bout: Alexis Davis (9-4) vs. Julie Kedzie (16-8)
MY PICK – Julie Kedzie via decision
WINNER – Alexis Davis via decision (30-27/30-27/29-28)

Pre-Fight Comments: Kedzie has won four fights in a row and has a shit load of experience. She has won via decision in all of them last four fights and I think the same thing is going to happen here. She does however have a HUGE gap in her game in terms of getting submitted. The good news for Davis is that she is great with submissions. I am going with Kedzie here based on her experience and ability to grind out decisions. However, I would NOT be surprised if Davis got the submission win.

Post-Fight Comments: Matt Hughes is in the corner of Alexis Davis. Kedzie's striking looked VERY GOOD in the first round, which was a VERY close round. I got Kedzie winning round one 10-9. Second round started with a small exchange and back to the clinch they went. Davis got the takedown on Kedzie, but she got up immediately. A lot of clinch action in this fight. Davis took Kedzie down again and worked for a rear naked with 30 seconds left in round two. The second round was Davis's to tie it up 19-19 going into the third round. The start of round three was much like the other rounds with some striking leading into more clinching. The crowd did their BOOING bullshit. The third round was pretty boring however, and I gotta score it 10-10 for a 29-29 DRAW! The judges scored it for Alexis Davis in the end unanimously. I am now 1-2 with my predictions tonight. DAMNIT!

Middleweight bout: Derek Brunson (7-0) vs. Lumumba Sayers (4-1)
MY PICK – Derek Brunson via decision
WINNER – Derek Brunson via submission (1-4:33)

Pre-Fight Comments: I know NOTHING about Sayers, but I do know that Brunson looks pretty good so far in his young MMA career. Brunson is a hell of a wrestler and as you all know, that is one of the BEST bases to have in this sport. He also have HEAVY hands and can knock a man out as well. I am going with Mr. Brunson in this fight via decision.

Post-Fight Comments: Atleast my prediction record got up to .500 here as I am now 1-1 after Brunson pulled it out. Brunson basically just came right out and got a couple of VERY strong takedowns. There was some trading of strikes, but Brunson nailed him with a huge high kick that was the beginning of the end for Sayers. Brunson followed with ANOTHER head kick which drops Sayers and allowed Brunson to follow him with a REAR NAKED CHOKE for the win. Dominant win here for Mr. Brunson!

Heavyweight bout: Bryan Humes (6-1) vs. Gabriel Salinas-Jones (4-0)
MY PICK – Bryan Humes via decision
WINNER – Gabriel Salinas-Jones via submission (3-1:19)

Pre-Fight Comments: I do NOT know anything about either fighter, so I will be watching them both for the first time here. I like seeing fighters for the first time, so I am interested definitely.

Post-Fight Comments: My night started off 0-1 in the prediction department as I suspected it could considering I knew nothing about either fighter. The first round had some mistakes by Humes which led him to not being able to finish Jones. Towards the end of the first round, Jones nailed him with some solid shots as he was on top and Humes was saved by the bell. I personally gave Humes round one 10-9. Humes was already gassed going into the second round, which was a horrible sign. Salinas-Jones tried for several takedowns in the second and finally got on top in the mount. Jones once again lays some SOLID shots to end the round and Humes is again saved by the bell. I gave Jones that round to tie it up 19-19. Humas DROPPED Jones immediately into the third round with a solid right! Jones was able to scramble and end up on top himself after defending a rear naked choke. He then locked in a BRABO CHOKE and gets the submission win! Great fight here and I truly think that Jones showed a lot in terms of ability to come back from punishment. I look forward to seeing him in the future.

MAIN CARD (SHOWTIME)

Heavyweight bout: Fedor Emelianenko (31-3-1) vs. Dan Henderson (27-8)
MY PICK – Fedor Emelianenko via submission
WINNER – Dan Henderson via TKO (1-4:12)

Pre-Fight Comments: Does it get ANY BETTER than this? Anyone that is a long time fan of this sport is 100% in love with this fight. I think that Henderson has the ability to beat anyone, but Fedor is a legit legend as well. Fedor is NOT going to lose three fights in a row after winning 30 in a row. I just do not see it happening for several reasons. First off, the only way Henderson can win his fight is by a decision win fueled by take down points. I do NOT think that will be happening here today. I think Fedor's submission game is what we will see here shine. Much like Anderson Silva did with Hendo back in their epic fight, I think Fedor will expose the ground game in terms of submission game of Henderson one more time. This is going to be a legendary fight, but I got Fedor via submission late in the fight. I honestly cannot believe that people got Fedor losing to a MIDDLEWEIGHT.

Post-Fight Comments: They start off aggressive as can be. Henderson popped Fedor with a left hand and even cut him open. They clinched against the cage for most of the first round. Fedor landed a right hand and dropped Henderson. Fedor went in for the kill and somehow Henderson transitioned and landed a shot while they were getting up that knocked Fedor down. THEY STOPPED THE FIGHT!! THAT WAS THE WORST CALL I HAVE EVER SEEN! FUCK THIS ENTIRE FIGHT! This was not a real win for Dan Henderson. I do not care what ANYONE else says! That was bullshit!

Women's Bantamweight (135 lb) Championship bout: Marloes Coenen © (19-4) vs. Miesha Tate (11-2)
MY PICK – Miesha Tate via decision
WINNER – Miesha Tate via submission (4-3:03)
Pre-Fight Comments: This is the baddest female fight in the history of female fights right here in my book. I love Coenen and her story, but Tate is just amazing in terms of RAW TALENT. Miesha Tate's takedowns are just unstoppable and I think she is gonna stay on top throughout the entire fight. I got her taking a 30-27 decision in the end of this fight based on her top game. Don't get me wrong, she could also pull off a submission. She trains at Alpha Male and everyone knows that the choke is something that is legendary out of that camp.

Post-Fight Comments: In the first round, Tate and Coenen were in the clinch for a while before Tate got the takedown. She got caught in a choke, which she got out of...barely. She controlled the rest of the round, which gave her a 10-9 win in my book. Tate got a takedown in round two, but Coenen transitioned perfectly and got Tate's back. She controlled the entire second round to tie this score 19-19 after winning the round 10-9. In the third, Coenen was landing some kicks and Tate was able to get another takedown early in the round. Tate looked to be gassing a little bit, but ended up with two takedowns in the third round and the win 10-9 there. I had it scored 29-28 for Tate going into the fourth round. To start the fourth, Tate got another takedown, but landed in a guillotine. She got out of it pretty quick however. Tate slid in a TRIANGLE CHOKE and got the submission to become the NEW WOMEN'S BANTAMWEIGHT CHAMPION!!! NOW she is gonna get Sarah Kaufman next whom already defeated Miss Tate. I am 4-5 on the night with predictions.

Middleweight bout: Robbie Lawler (19-7-1) vs. Tim Kennedy (13-3)
MY PICK – Robbie Lawler via KO
WINNER – Tim Kennedy via decision (30-27/30-27/30-27)
Pre-Fight Comments: This is ANOTHER amazing fight on this card. Lawler has actually lost two of his last three and three of his last five, which seems like a misprint to me. Yes, I know he really has lost them fights, but he seems like one of the most exciting fighters in the game right now. Lawler's KO ability is so good though, he can catch anyone at any time and I think that is exactly what we are going to see here. Kennedy's submission game is top notch and that is the REAL threat towards Lawler. The real question is whether Lawler can prevent the takedown or not. I think he will and actually catch Kennedy with an uppercut or something at the same time. Regardless, this has fight of the night potential here and there is no doubt in that.

Post-Fight Comments: Round one was Kennedy's barely. Lawler had some GREAT footwork and even took a low blow from Kennedy. Lawler was much faster and had great take down defense. Kennedy got the takedowns three times. I scored it for Kennedy 10-9. Lawler landed a great uppercut that busted Kennedy's nose wide open badly to start the round. Kennedy got a good takedown and controlled most of the round. Lawler landed good strikes from bottom. I gave round two to LAWLER for damage tying it 19-19 going into the third. The third round was HORRIBLE as both men were gassed. Tim Kennedy got a takedown and won the round. Robbie Lawler gave up in this fight and that made me sick. He didn't even TRY in the third round in my book. I scored it 29-28 for Kennedy...Maybe 30-27. Good win for Kennedy and then he gave a corny fucking interview. I am 3-5 on the night.

Welterweight bout: Paul Daley (27-10-2) vs. Tyron Woodley (7-0)
MY PICK – Tyron Woodley via decision
WINNER – Tyron Woodley via decision (29-28/29-28/29-28)

Pre-Fight Comments: Wow, what a fight this is, but I agree with Daley that this fight was stupid to even make. I will explain why and give you my reason for picking Woodley in this fight. As much as I like Paul Daley and wish he would shut all the haters mouths for good, Tyron Woodley's wrestling is just too superior here. Daley says that Woodley's wrestling is not as good as Koscheck's and I am going to have to disagree there. I think Woodley is young, strong, and VERY solid. I appreciated Woodley being a guest on MMA Affiliates Radio a while back and he told me THEN that he wanted this fight way before it was signed. I think Daley did NOT want this fight and Woodley did. That will be the difference in this fight in my opinion. We all know that Daley's wrestling ability and take down defense is pretty horrible and we should see it all again here. I love Daley, but Woodley is gonna grind this one out in my opinion. I think Strikeforce just messed up with this fight however. If Woodley loses, then their up and coming prospect is no longer undefeated. If Daley loses, that's TWO in a row and now he all of the sudden loses SERIOUS drawing power and looks destined for a BAMMA fight with Nate Marquardt. I just do NOT like this fight with a title NOT being on the line here.

Post-Fight Comments: Great first round as we saw GREAT take down defense by Daley as there were no takedowns in the round. There was a low blow in which I believe Daley hit Woodley on purpose to get out of the clinch. Woodley landed A LOT of knees in the clinch, which is why I gave him the round 10-9. Woodley kept arrogantly dropping his hands in the first. In the second round, Woodley got a take down finally, but Daley worked well from his back with defense. Woodley basically just grinded him, but did really nothing else. I gave round two to Woodley to go up 20-18. Daley only threw 7 punches in the first two rounds. When I say punches, I mean strikes. In the third round, Daley came out swinging, but Woodley got another takedown. Daley landed some striking with a minute left and looked good. Amazingly, Daley went for an Omaplata with 20 seconds left and almost got it! I scored the fight 30-27 for Woodley. GREAT FIGHT! I am now 3-4 on the evening in predictions.

Welterweight bout: Scott Smith (17-7-1) vs. Tarec Saffiedine (10-2)
MY PICK – Tarec Saffiedine via TKO
WINNER – Tarec Saffiedine via decision (30-26/30-27/30-27)

Pre-Fight Comments: When it comes to OPENING UP a show, it doesn't get much better and exciting than this fight right here. Scott Smith likes to take a bunch of shots just to give one major shot. I think that will be his problem here as Saffiedine will land a few good ones FIRST and that will be the difference. Scott Smith is getting old and looks more stiff each time we see him. I do think this fight will be exciting while it lasts and that's a GUARANTEE for the most part.

Post-Fight Comments: Saffiedine dominated the first two rounds pretty easily in this fight. In the first round, there was a lot of feeling out, but Saffiedine had great kicks and combos to take it 10-9. The second round was ALL Tarec as he hit him with everything. He out struck him, landed a flying knee, dropped him, busted him open, and hit great elbows! Smith just had no movement ½ way through the second and looks done. Tarec took round two 10-8 to me and went up 20-17 after two. In round three, Tarec dominated again as his energy was like he just started. His striking was crisp and Scott Smith was as stiff as it gets. Scott Smith really looked old and I feel he should retire. I have to admit that his HIGH KICK that missed and hit the top of the cage was funny. I scored this fight 30-26 for Tarec Saffiedine. The judges gave it to him too.

POST EVENT COMMENTS by KING JB: Having no way to view the under card fights really pissed me off tonight with this show. I wanna apologize for my under card report being so small. I had to do a lot of reading to get my details of the results for the under card. This card was great, but the MAIN EVENT pissed me off...My review videos are posted below.

No comments:

Post a Comment