Friday, June 17, 2011

The Legends of Fighting Championship 47: Big Dawgs!

Legends of Fighting Championship 47: Big Dawgs Coverage


Legends of Fighting Championship 47: Big Dawgs Coverage



Thursday June, 16, 2011 - “The Weigh-Ins”



Being my first event covering the LFC, I honestly had no clue what to expect going into these weigh-ins. There was a lot of positive that I personally saw for the company going into this event. I had the chance to speak with both owners of the company, Scott McCorkle and Scott Sims. I also spoke with event manager, Matt Gunning as well as match-makers Eddie Mirabella and Donald Hoover. I spoke with many of the fighters and to be honest, it was a blast all around. I even drank a beer or two or NINE while I was there. I got to the weigh-ins around 5:30 and didn't end up leaving until around 9:30, when there was only few of us left.



The first thing that I would like to mention is the excitement overall at these weigh-ins. There was quite a bit of excitement at the event. The fans that were around were excited and the ownership seemed to be excited. Quite a few of the fighters themselves also seemed excited. There were some VERY POSITIVE things to result from this weigh-ins and there were only a few things off. I do want to say that for a company such as the Legends of Fighting Championship, some of the fighters seem to take their careers serious, and some obviously did not. I will touch on that a bit later.



One of my first interviews of the night was with match-maker Donald Hoover. He had some very solid words to say in regards to the event and even Chris Price. Donald Hoover later went back and forth on whether he wanted me to edit the interview or not, which made all of us laugh around the table. I am not going to throw the names of the people laughing into this piece, but lets just say that some of the higher ups believed that Hoover had just made a mistake. They informed me to keep it real and NOT edit the footage. With that being said, I decided to NOT edit the footage. After already putting the footage together, I got a message however from Hoover today telling me to edit the footage. Hoover, you know I got love for ya, but its already done sir. Let's just hope that Chris doesn't see it bro ;)



One thing that I have to say is that these fighters need to take these weigh-ins a lot more serious. Scott McCorkle and Scott Sims, I am sure do not want to be promoting unprofessional MMA fighters and I did unfortunately see quite a bit of that last night. There were quite a few fighters that missed weight and also, there were fighters I believe that never even showed up. I was there four hours, and when I left, there were still people that they were waiting for to show up. My advice to some of these fighters is to seriously get your sh*t together if you intend on making this sport a career. The LFC is far to solid of an organization to have that sort of black cloud over it. When the LFC speaks of the fact that they are re-building, it is issues like this that is the reason. Some of these fighters out here need to honestly grow up and take this job seriously. Especially if you are on the main draw as a professional fighter.



Other than some of the lack of professionalism from the fighters, I would say that the weigh-ins were great. They were a little unorganized in my opinion with fighters weighing in separately at different times, but then again, that's just my opinion. The higher ups of this show put a lot into the events, so I truly believe that none of that is their fault. Overall, it was a great experience and the buildup and hype going into the show was amazing. The interviews went off great as did the entire weigh-ins as a whole. The owners of the company were very reachable despite previous reports from others saying that I would not be able to talk to them. You all know me out there! I am gonna squeeze in where I can get in and try to get things done. I told Scott McCorkle that I need to head up his marketing online and that lead into an interesting conversation and me getting his personal e-mail to further discuss this.



One of the other things that I enjoyed was meeting the man that runs Cage Craze. For some reason, he did NOT want to be on camera and that was a little odd to me, but overall, he was great to talk to and I definitely think that him and I can work together in the near future. I personally enjoyed speaking to him for the short time that I did and I can't wait to speak with him on further occassions.



The weigh-ins left me and my wife with one thing in our heads. “GOD DAMN, we can NOT wait for LFC 47: Big Dawgs! Tonight at the 8-second saloon in Indianapolis, Indiana. These weigh-ins were at Bubbaz Bar and Grill on the south side of Indianapolis. The fight's themselves at the 8-second saloon are at 111 N. Lynhurst. The doors will be opening at 6pm for the show. Me and my wife will be car-pooling with Dan Stephens of Inner Beast Sportswear. I look forward to the event without a doubt and expect some great action. Make sure you all get out there to the show as we expect to see a HUGE EVENT!



The Main Card

Heavyweight Fight: Rob Barnett vs. William Penn II

Bantamweight Fight: Darnell Davis vs. Carson Gainey



Featherweight Fight: Justin Ford vs. Aaron Miller

Bantamweight Fight: Chris Johnson vs. Matt Wilson



Amateur Card

Amateur Featherweight Championship: Luis Guerra (2-1) vs. David Burnas


Kevin Groff vs. Kenny Day

Chad Wilson (2-0) vs. Justen Dowset (3-1)  

Demar Gibson vs. Dewayne Castillo

Jeremy Baughman (4-0) vs. Brandon Hess   

Joe Lyle Jr. vs. Jason Tancreti

Daniel Blackburn vs. Mike Moon   

Lloyd Thornton vs. Jake Beals   

Lamonte Dixon vs. Demarcus Spencer    

KeAndre Howard (1-2) vs. Cody Gamble    

Johnny Neville (0-3) vs. Joe Raney (0-2)  





Jason Stroud was supposed to meet Eddie Christer, but the fight was cancelled after Eddie came in too far UNDER WEIGHT.



There are many, many, many more fights as well. I believe they have put together a 14 or 15 fight card for the evening! Make sure you get out there and CHECK IT OUT!



 

KING JB

MMA Kingdom/MMA Affiliates Radio

No comments:

Post a Comment