Friday, October 1, 2010

My Top Seven Martial Arts Influences

Everyone has influences. Fighters are no different. In each and everyone of us, there is a part of someone else, someone who helped make us who we are. In my practice of martial arts and my strive for excellence in this field, there are many individuals who have helped guide my path. But there are seven who stand out from the rest. I owe each of them a part of who I am.


The first was Muhammad Ali. As a fourteen year-old, I saw Rocky for the first time and knew immediately that boxing was for me. Whoever thought up that training montage knew what they were doing. My first thought was that I should find out who the greatest boxer of all time was, and study what he did. And of course, the greatest was "The Greatest", Muhammad Ali.
Interestingly, finding Ali was pure luck. I rented a boxing documentary from the library featuring some of the all time greats. But when Ali came on, and I saw the man move, I was in awe. There was something more here, this was no ordinary man. No one even told me he was the best, I knew the moment I saw him. From Ali I learned not only how to move, punch, and be very sneaky against my opponent, but I learned about incredible heart. When I saw the clips on the documentary taken from the Fight of the Century in 1971, I couldn't believe my eyes. How could a man endure that and even jump up off the canvas after being hit with the hardest left hook of all time? Heart, that's how. He was willing to die in that ring.




The second major influence was Bruce Lee. What I have learned and am still learning from Bruce Lee goes beyond martial arts, so far in fact that a later blog is due on how this man changed my life. But for now, let's keep it in scale. I took up martial arts when I was sixteen. I remembered hearing some friends once talk about Lee as "the all time best", so I began doing my research.
I purchased a book of compiled writings by Lee...and my mind nearly exploded. I don't know what it's like to see what's at the end of the universe or learn the last digit of pi, but I imagine it's the same kind of enlightenment I experienced upon reading the writings of Bruce Lee for the first time. This man had a profound understanding of philosophy, psychology, life in general, and how it all related to, as he put it, "the art of expressing the human body". Oh yeah, let's not forget how good the man was in his chosen field. It was by studying Lee that I learned for the first time just how skilled an individual could become at their chosen endeavor. His technique border lined an inhuman perfection. His physique nearly incomparable. Whenever I get a little arrogant and think I'm all that, I imagine myself next to Bruce Lee. It puts me in my place every time.


The third influence was my good friend and only martial arts instructor, Joel Puryear. He is a talented and knowledgeable third degree black belt in Tae Kwon Do. When I began martial arts I asked if he would teach me and he did, at a fraction of the normal cost someone would normally have to pay for his time and expertise, I might add. Joel taught me about basic technique and combinations. I had already known how to punch and throw hand combinations but this was a whole different ball game. I remember the first time we sparred I tried to hit Joel with a right hand lead. He picked up his front foot and punched a side kick into my ribs I'll never forget. I had never been kicked before. I had a lot of unlearning to do. Joel helped me learn to spar effectively. I had private lessons so I was fighting a third degree black belt all the time. He encouraged full contact as well. It really helped me learn quicker than most.




The fourth influence was Chuck Norris. Chuck Norris was most influential on my thought process. I learned from him that your mental attitude was just as important as your physical skill. A lot of people talk about the power of positive thinking, but Norris demonstrates the power of positive action. You cannot for one second allow yourself to have doubts because your body will literally accept it as a command. If you think you will fail, odds are you will, even if you are skilled enough to succeed. You have to always move forward. And if you hit a stumbling block, turn it in to a stepping stone. And if Chuck Norris hits a stumbling block, it explodes on contact and assembles a stepping stone automatically, out of fear. (I met Norris in 2008, a great day)



The fifth influence was Joe Lewis. I think it's only fair to say that Joe Lewis has had a greater impact on my fighting skill, mental toughness, and fighting mentality than any one else. I actually divide my martial arts into two eras: pre-Lewis and post Lewis. Joe Lewis is five inches taller than me, fifty pounds heavier, and there is no comparison in our power and speed. But everything he teaches works for me. This is because Lewis has so perfectly broken down the fight game that he has universal principals, tactics, strategy, and training drills that will increase anyone's fighting proficiency. And when I came across Joe Lewis' material, my fighting ability, as well as my teaching ability, sky rocketed. When I spar, I know no one can touch me. And if they do, I have the knowledge I need to neutralize their advantage and make their defense collapse. Since I have began to study under the man twice voted by Black Belt Magazine as "the greatest living Karate fighter", my confidence is unshakable.




The sixth influence is Benny "the Jet" Urquidez. Once again, "confidence" is the key word. It takes a special kind of man to walk in the ring against any opponent, in their home town, and fight under their own rules with the world tittle belt on the line. And when someone can do that and be victorious 58 times, you call him Benny "the Jet" because that's his name. It's also important to mention that Urquidez is almost exactly my size, so anything he does will work for me. That's where I picked up my spinning back kick, one of my favorite techniques.


Last on the list is perhaps my favorite fighter, the one man who just continually puts me in complete awe. He is of course, none other than Bill "Superfoot" Wallace. I don't remember how I learned about Bill Wallace but I'm sure glad I did. I followed his example when in doubt of recovering from an injury that could have stopped my training permanently. Without his example, I couldn't have done it. He also influenced my style. Although I was first a boxer, my trade mark has become my flexibility and kicking. I love to show people how I can drop into complete side splits. I love kicking people in the head too! Wallace's example has increased everything from my speed, deceptiveness, flexibility, and set up skills. But more importantly, his example serves as perhaps the best on how to treat others. I contend that you will not meet a nicer, more down to earth guy than Bill Wallace. Or a funnier one too. He always has a smile on his face. I remember when I met Wallace last year. It was the best moment in my study of martial arts. The man literally puts the entire room in a good mood. And all the while, you know that this funny, light hearted man in front of you is a deadly weapon that the best fighters in the world failed to conquer for six straight years until his retirement. How could anyone not be influenced by a guy like that?


No comments:

Post a Comment