Tuesday, August 2, 2011

UFC 133: Evans vs. Ortiz II Pre-Event Coverage and Predictions!


UFC 133 (Preview)
This is the complete PREVIEW of the event here and will include both the press conference and pre-fight interviews. I will also throw in the weigh-in video and trailer leading up to the event. With that being said, here is the trailer to hype up the show...

(Trailer)


Much like all of you, I am very disappointed in this card and have been basically since the first time I ever looked at the card months ago. I thought Rashad Evans and Phil Davis was a bad main event. I have to admit that I am much more interested in Tito in this main event than Phil Davis. I am atleast interested in the main event now. Of course, the Belfort and Akiyama fight should be fun, but the loser is probably gone from the UFC. Other than those two fights, we do not have very much to look forward to with this card.

Yes, the rest of the card still has some DECENT fights and I love the sport of MMA, so I will enjoy myself regardless, but following the Strikeforce: Fedor vs. Henderson card, this is not a good one for the UFC. I do realize that every card cannot have Brock or Silva or GSP. I do not mean to bash this card, because the fights should still be ok to watch. When I speak of this card, I mainly speak of it in terms of marketability. That is why I do love the fact that Tito took the fight however, because now it has a marketable chance out there to be sold.

(Presser Video)


(Conference Call)

(Weigh-In Video)
Wont have until FRIDAY evening...

Main card
Light Heavyweight bout: Rashad Evans (15-1-1) vs. Tito Ortiz (16-8-1)
MY PICK – Rashad Evans via decision





Pre-Fight Comments: I am definitely glad that Ortiz is fighting Evans rather than Phil Davis. After the draw that they had before (In which Tito SHOULD have won), I think a rematch was needed here. Tito is coming off an amazing win (which I picked) over Ryan Bader and Rashad is coming off a long ass layoff. In many ways, this is being considered a #1 contenders fight. I think whom eve wins this fight deserves a shot. I think this is Tito's chance to truly make a splash and come back. Personally, I think the short notice will be what hurts Tito here however. I think Rashad will squeak out a decision win. Regardless, I am excited to see this fight and the end result.

Middleweight bout: Vitor Belfort (19-9) vs. Yoshihiro Akiyama (12-3-0-2)
MY PICK – Vitor Belfort via TKO



Pre-Fight Comments: I honestly think this will be the fight of the night, but also a fight that leaves someone without a job. I truly think that the loser of this fight will be released from the UFC. Akiyama has been unimpressive in my book since coming to the UFC. I know a lot of people like him and I do not blame them, but I do not consider him a serious contender. Belfort on the other hand IS a serious contender. Belfort was embarrassed in the fight with Anderson Silva and I am willing to bet my balls that he seriously wants to erase that. I think the talent difference is huge in this fight and Belfort is gonna finish this fight via TKO or KO!

Welterweight bout: Dennis Hallman (43-13-2-1) vs. Brian Ebersole (47-14-1-1)
MY PICK – Dennis Hallman via decision

Pre-Fight Comments: The battle of the old timers here as both men have well over 50 fights. This should definitely be a good one however as they both have huge wins in their career. Most recently, Ebersole upset the much loved Chris Lytle. He has won eight fights in a row. Also inside that win streak is a victory over former UFC champion, Carlos Newton. His last loss was against Hector Lombard back in 2008. Hallman has won two in a row including wins over Karo Parisyan and Ben Saunders. I believe both of those fights ended those men's UFC careers. He beat Matt Hughes back when Matt Hughes was unbeatable. I gotta go with Hallman in this fight by decision.

Middleweight bout: Jorge Rivera (19-8) vs. Costantinos Philippou (7-2-0-1)
MY PICK – Jorge Rivera via TKO

Pre-Fight Comments: This is supposed to be Jorge Rivera's retirement fight. The fight was supposed to be with Alessio Sakara, but for a third time, that fight was cancelled. Many everywhere are saying that fight is cursed. Rivera has some amazing power despite his age and can knock out anyone. Constatinos has never been finished, so this would be HUGE for Jorge if he can pull it off though and it just sounds like a FEEL GOOD story for this guy to end his career. Personally, I think he DESERVED what happened with Michael Bisping due to his mouth, but I still would like him to go out with a 20th pro win and good story. I think this loss will get Philippou cut from the UFC.

Welterweight bout: Rory MacDonald (11-1) vs. Mike Pyle (21-7-1)
MY PICK – Rory MacDonald via submission

Pre-Fight Comments: This should actually be a GREAT fight and deserves to be on the main card regardless of all the injuries. This definitely has potential to end up as the fight of the night. MacDonald has only lost one time in his career and it was that fight with Carlos Condit. Most people know that Rory was kicking Carlos's ass in that fight before making a HUGE mistake with seven seconds left and getting TKO'ed. He would have won that fight if it saw the judges. He is coming off a win over Nate Diaz and I think he is gonna stay on a roll. Pyle has been extremely solid over his career and is on a three fight win streak. Ultimately, this could be the most competitive fight of the night. I definitely believe that the winner of this fight will be knocking on the door of the division's top ten. Pyle gets caught in submissions every now and then and I honestly think that is what will happen here. DEFINITELY a great fight to watch for us fans and in general.

Preliminary card (televised)
Light Heavyweight bout: Matt Hamill (10-3) vs. Alexander Gustafsson (11-1)
MY PICK – Matt Hamill via decision

Pre-Fight Comments: Im going to be honest here. If Hamill loses this fight, I think he will be HONESTLY cut from the UFC. Actually, let me scratch that. With the movie coming out about Matt Hamill's life, I doubt Dana White will let that kind of promotion get away. Regardless, I do NOT think that he is going to lose the fight. Hamill's wrestling is just superb and thats the truth overall. I do not think that Alexander will be able to handle it. Gustafsson's only loss has been to Phil Davis in his career. I think Gustafsson has great jiu-jitsu, but that will do him no good here unless he catches Hamill slipping. This fight is bound to hit the judges.

Featherweight bout: Chad Mendes (10-0) vs. Rani Yahya (16-6)
MY PICK – Rani Yahya via submission

Pre-Fight Comments: Mendes has obviously never been beaten, but I think its because of his boring ass style and the fact that he has never met a man with the ability overall as Yahya. I think we are going to see the upset of the night right here in this fight. Mendes has been to the judges in five of his past six fights. Yahya has lost two of his last three, but still has the ability to beat anyone in the weight class. He has beaten Mark Hominick, Eddie Wineland, and Mike Brown. I think he is about to add another name to his list in this big fight. He will have to get the submission nod, because more than likely if it makes it to the judges, they will give it to Mendes. Remember folks that you heard it here first...UPSET OF THE NIGHT!

Preliminary card (Facebook)
Bantamweight bout: Ivan Menjivar (22-8) vs. Nick Pace (6-1)
MY PICK – Ivan Menjivar via decision

Pre-Fight Comments: Menjivar is one of the most underrated guys in the division as you rarely hear anyone mention his name. I know that he has struggled as of late, losing three of his last five fights. However, his ability is still there and I think he proved it in his last fight against Charlie Valencia. He got the TKO win there and I think he is ready for a bigger challenge in Pace. Pace won his last fight following the first loss of his career. He has some great ability, but experience here should be the key. I think we will see a great grapplers battle here, but Menjivar will take it in the end. There will probably be no finish here.

Welterweight bout: Johny Hendricks (10-1) vs. Mike Pierce (12-3)
MY PICK – Mike Pierce via decision

Pre-Fight Comments: This sounds like a good fight on paper, but Mike Pierce is John Fitch the sequel inside the Welterweight division in my opinion. Johny Hendricks is fun to watch, but definitely has his hands full in this fight. Pierce ACTUALLY has finished his last two fights, which is odd for him considering he is the sequel. His last loss was to the ORIGINAL Jon Fitch back in 2009, but decision, of course. I think he will use his wrestling and take this to the judges. I hope deep down that Hendricks finds a way to make this fight exciting and knock him out, but we all know where this is going. Pierce has never been finished in 15 fights and I do not expect this to be any different. I got Pierce winning this one by decision.

Featherweight bout: Mike Brown (24-8) vs. Nam Phan (16-8)
MY PICK – Mike Brown via TKO

Pre-Fight Comments: This is my favorite fight of the under card. I hated Mike Brown during the Urijah Faber fights because Im such a Faber fan, but I do not wanna see his career in the UFC end just yet. I am definitely fearful that Brown will be released if he loses this fight. He has lost three of his last four fights and four of six fights since the second win over Faber. Its amazing to see him fall apart so quick like that after Jose Aldo whipped that ass. I think Phan has a long way to go however before he can beat someone with the ability of Mike Brown. Yes, Phan has a lot of experience out there, but he has ZERO big wins on his record in my book. He has lost three of his last four fights and is 0-1 inside the UFC. I definitely think that the loser of this fight will be released.

Middleweight bout: Rafael Natal (12-3-1) vs. Paul Bradley (18-2-0-1)
MY PICK – Paul Bradley via decision

Pre-Fight Comments: Natal has a loss and a draw inside the UFC, so this is a must win for him at this point in my opinion. Natal has an amazing submission game as that seems to be his bread and butter. Bradley has an amazingly quiet GREAT record in his pro career. He has won five fights in a row and I truly think he is about to make it six. He has a great all around game and has actually won four of his last five fights by submission. With that said, I think we will see a grappling battle, leading to a decision win for Paul Bradley.




EXTRA COMMENTS: I think that there will be a few cuts from the UFC following this event and below are the guys I think will be gone.

1) Yoshihiro Akiyama (12-3-0-2) I think that another loss would seal his fate. He has lost two fights in a row and BARELY won his debut against Alan Belcher. He is a talent, but three losses in a row will be too much in my opinion. These definitely are NOT the old “HERO or DREAM” days for Akiyama. Its a shame because he went so long without a loss prior to the streak, but it has been TWO YEARS since his last win.
2) Costantinos Philippou (7-2-0-1) After a lengthy career with the Ring of Combat, he is 0-1 in the UFC and a loss here will seal the deal in my opinion. He lost to Nick Catone, now a loss to an old man on his way out would be too much.
3) Nam Phan (16-8) He has lost three of his last four fights and is 0-1 inside the Octagon.
4) Rafael Natal (12-3-1) He has a draw and a loss inside the Octagon. A loss here means ZERO wins in three attempts, which is not something that Dana likes to deal with.

No comments:

Post a Comment